Cary Chamber of Commerce 2020 Voter's Guide Response Form
Thank you for taking time to respond to the Cary Chamber's Voter's Guide questionnaire. All candidates are being asked to respond to the same 3 questions, responses will be published together in our Annual Voter's Guide. The deadline to submit responses is OCTOBER 1, 2020 by 5pm.
We are not setting a character limit for your responses, though we ask that you respond as concisely as possible.
If you have any questions please contact Perry Price, Director of Education and Government Relations at email@example.com.
The name and photo associated with your Google account will be recorded when you upload files and submit this form. Not firstname.lastname@example.org? Switch account
1. Should you be elected to serve, what are your top 3 priorities that you plan to focus on?
My focus as a WCPSS School Board representative will always be on the education, academic success, and what's in the best interest of our students. Today, as we maneuver the pandemic together, my priorities are:
1. Ensuring the health, safety, and well-being of our students, teachers, and school staff as we return to in-person instruction. Many are eager yet apprehensive to get back to class. As an educator and mother, I understand and recognize the need to implement all necessary safety protocols and procedures and the significant value of in-person instruction.
2. Putting the focus back on education. Whether online or in person, students must be provided a sound education with any needed academic support to help them rise to reach their maximum potential. This includes defining a structure for their chosen learning environment and clearly communicating expectations to both students and their families.
3. Giving parents, students, community members and school staff a voice. In our ever-changing environment, it’s important to communicate well and communicate often. Respectful, open dialogue with parents, community members, and staff will encourage collaboration and opportunities to improve learning. I will work to help find common ground and encourage proactive communication.
2. What do you think the function or role of public/private partnerships are? (Ex. Chambers of Commerce, Wake Education Partnership, Regional Transportation Alliance/RTA, etc)
We all play an important and integral role in education in Wake County. Our students are our future lawyers, doctors, entrepreneurs, and chamber members. Partnerships with community groups and private entities is important to the foundation of our school system. Ultimately, we both reap the rewards of a collaborative and working relationship.
We are in a year where the importance of Disaster Preparedness and Response has been highlighted. What are your feelings on how we've responded? Would you have done anything differently?
As the largest school system in North Carolina, the absence of a long-term emergency plan and clear communication was alarming. While this is an unprecedented situation, WCPSS must have a plan to mitigate the impact on education and on the operation of the system. Even though the State Board of Education's decision to eliminate student accountability impacted timelines, WCPSS did not readily make available the tools and resources required to ensure the students continued to learn. Being proactive and listening to concerns raised by families and staff about the previous semester will help WCPSS be better prepared. Additionally, providing school staff effective professional development, setting clear expectations, and giving them the support they need in this “new normal” is crucial. Ensuring the health, safety, and well-being of our students, teachers, and school staff as we return to in-person instruction is crucial. As defined in my platform, I will listen, learn, and lead to represent the needs of all students, families, and staff members.